Saturday, July 28, 2007

Back to Britain

When I was at Tiverton Grammar School in Devon in the late sixties we had to do a project for the Back Britain campaign. I seem to remember 'they' had decided Britain had developed a bit of a negative image and they wanted people to think happy, positive thoughts about their homeland.



I mostly remember it because it was such fun. I was with a group of intelligent, funny, creative young people and we came up with a load of crazy ideas. I think that was just before David Bryant left the group to group to go to Australia. When I also left a while later they asked if I would see him there ... of course, he went to Sydney and I went to Perth.

Now I am heading back to Britain after 37 (yes, that's thirty-seven!) years. So far I've tracked down Nigel Bovey from our class, and I'm wondering who else is still living there in Tiverton or Cullompton. It seems incredible that they would still be there while I've been all over the world. I wonder if the time passed quickly for them.

Less than a week now.

No comments: